Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross in Lúčky
The Roman-Catholic church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross is situated in the town of Lúčky, approximately 13 km away from the centre of Ružomberok.
Its construction began in 1820, the building was finished in 4 years. The costs were paid by the Royal Chamber of the Kingdom of Hungary. It was consecrated on the feast day of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross in 1825.
The church, situated on a hill in the centre of the town, was painted by academic painter Jozef Hanula at the end of the 19th century. Only 2 of Hanula’s paintings have been preserved: Crucifixion behind the altar and St. Clement and a Raftsman above the organ. In the 1930’s, the church was painted by academic painter Alojz Fellegi. From among these paintings, for instance, depictions of the Way of the Cross are particularly noteworthy.
A new main altar was built at this time as well. It has abundant decorative ornaments and a well-crafted sculptural art piece in the form of the Crucifixion statue. Apart from the main altar, the church also has two side altars: altar of the Visitation of Virgin Mary and altar of Virgin Mary of Lourdes. Another interesting feature is the baptistery, with an exact date inscription (1818), which increases its value.
Also noteworthy is the sandstone baptistery, which stands on a square post. Kept inside is a wrought copper bowl for the holy water. There is an imperial apple at the top of the lid.
An interesting fact is that in 1925, the two bells in the church tower (Holy Family and Saint Clement) were blessed by the well-known Slovak patriot, Andrej Hlinka. A new 550-kilo bell, Cornelius, was solemnly consecrated in 1987.