Evangelical Church in Ružomberok
For over 90 years, the Evangelical Church in Ružomberok has been the only Evangelical church in the entire Lower Liptov and it is one of the architectural dominants of the town.
It is situated in the centre of the town, at A. Bernoláka Street, near the building of the A. Hlinka Community Centre.
Its decoration is simple and purposeful, as it is in all Protestant churches.
In the wood-carved altar, which is decorated with motifs of the vine and with a relief of the Bible with a gold chalice, one must certainly notice the alter painting of Jesus blessing the chalice, the author of which is the well-known painter, Peter Michal Bohúň. This painting was also part of the altar decoration in the original prayer house used by the Evangelists before the construction of the current church. The current church was built and solemnly consecrated in 1926.
It is interesting that there is a Baroque chalice from the end of the 17th century, which has remained in the church to this day. There is also a plaque commemorating the memorable assembly – Ružomberok’s Synod from 1707.
The church was designed by a Ružomberok’s native, architect, Ján Burjan, a signatory of the Martin Declaration.
The church building forms a unit with the buildings of the Evangelical clergyman’s house and the former people’s school, which was designed by well-known architect Dušan Jurkovič. Together they form a united complex.