Places to visit

Former State Grammar School of German “Realschule”-Type

The building of the former eight-year grammar school is a part of the Piarist College Complex.

It is situated in the centre of the town, at A. Hlinka Square, next to the Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross.

The building was built in 1888 and it replaced the original building of the Piarist school, built in 1735.

At the time of its appearance, it was far and wide the only school of its kind, and it was used by the students from all over Liptov, Orava and Turiec. Many important Slovak figures attended the school, such as A. Bernolák, K. F. Palma, A. Radlinský, L. Nádaši-Jégé, A. Hlinka, E. Bohúň, V. Šrobár, Ľ. Fulla, K. Sidor, or members of the Makovicky, Houdek and Krčméry families. At present, the building is used by the Catholic University.

In front of the building, there is a bust of the former pope John Paul II, as well as a park bearing his name.