Church of the Sacrifice of the Lord in Liptovské Revúce
The Roman-Catholic Church of the Sacrifice of the Lord is situated in the town of Liptovské Revúce, approximately 24 km away from the centre of Ružomberok.
Construction of the church, which is situated in “Stredné Revúce” (Central Revúce), was finished in 1819, it took 17 years. It was consecrated to the Purification of Virgin Mary, i.e. to the Sacrifice of the Lord. There is a roofed staircase leading to the church. Originally, there was an earlier wooden church in the town, but it was demolished after the completion of the new church.
There is a date inscription above the entrance, which refers to the construction of the already mentioned earlier wooden church (1694) and also to the construction of the new church (1819).
The altars, the pulpit, the baptistery, and the pews, are the original ones, from the time of the construction.
There are also paintings by well-known painter Jozef Hanula, a native of Liptovské Sliače, which were made by Hanula at the beginning of the 20th century. Particularly noteworthy among these paintings is, for instance, the one depicting the Sacrifice of Jesus, located at the altar. Other Hanula’s paintings are interesting too, such as Christ blessing the people of Revúce, adoration of the three wise men, and adoration of shepherds. In the paintings, Hanula also portrayed the surrounding mountainous landscape and the local people.
A dominant feature of the main altar of the Purification of Virgin Mary is the already mentioned painting of the Sacrifice of Jesus. In the foreground, kneeling on the stairs, there is a young boy with an incense burner, a high priest is standing above him and holding baby Jesus in his arms. Behind him, there is a stand with an open book. On the bottom right, there is Mary, the mother of Jesus, kneeling on the stairs. Standing above her are St. Joachim and St. Anne.
The pulpit comes from the 19th century. There is an extension component on the roof of the pulpit, with a depiction of a book with letters alpha and omega, surrounded with clouds and a halo made of rays. Also noteworthy is the baptistery, which has an imperial apple on the top.
One of the most valuable paintings in the church is the Crucifixion by Maximilián Ratskay. The painting portrays crucified Jesus Christ. Standing to the left of the cross is his mother Mary, leaning back, and apostle John is supporting her. Kneeling to the right of the cross is Mary Magdalene, supporting her head with her right hand.
Also noteworthy is the statue of St. Andrew.