Peak Malá Chochuľa
A meadow peak with views of the Lower Liptov Region and the Upper Hron River Region.
It is situated south of Ružomberok, near the town of Korytnica. It is a part of the Low Tatras. It is 1719 m.a.s.l. high. It is located 22 km away from the centre of Ružomberok (as the crow flies). The peak consists of a meadow, it is covered with grass and blueberry bushes. It offers a view of almost all the cardinal points. It is visible from the west part of the Liptov Basin.
It can be assessed along a marked hiking trail from Korytnica or Liptovská Lúžna.
The easiest way to the top is from the village of Korytnica, from where we go along the blue-marked hiking trail to notch Hiadeľské Sedlo and then we continue through the main ridge of the Low Tatras along the red-marked hiking trail.
The top view includes mainly the region of Lower Liptov and a part of the Upper Hron River region, the mountains of the Great Fatra, the Choč Mountains, the West Tatras, the Low Tatras, the Staré Hory Mountains, Poľana, the Kremnica Mountains, the Vepor Mountains, the Small Fatra, the High Tatras including Kriváň, and partially also other mountains at a greater distance.
– Hiking to the peak is possible all year round, winter gear should not be forgotten in winter.
– In winter, guidance is provided in the form of winter pole marking.
– There is a red-marked hiking trail running through Malá Chochuľa, the so called “Cesta hrdinov SNP” (Trail of SNU Heroes), which leads from Dukla to Devín.
– The red-marked hiking trail running through the peak is a part of European long distance route E8.
– The hiking tour from Korytnica takes approximately 3 hours and 30 minutes.
– The sub-part of the Low Tatras in which the peak is situated is called Prašivá.
– It is usually not the final target point for hikers, they only pass through on their way to other peaks.
– The top is marked with a stone, which has a hole after a pole.
– The cadastral areas of Liptovská Osada, Liptovská Lúžna and Brusno are meeting at the peak.