Liptov Museum Building
Liptov Museum in Ružomberok is one of the largest regional museums in Slovakia. It offers a lot of interesting things to learn about the living and the inanimate nature of Liptov, as well as about the history of our region.
It is situated in the centre of the town, at Š.N. Hýroša Square, near a park with the same name and in the immediate neighbourhood of Ľ. Fulla Gallery.
The following exhibitions are open to the public: Geology, Palaeontology and Plant Biology, Zoology, Archeology, Feudalism and Guilds, Ethnography and Sacral Art of Liptov, Liptov History 1848 – 1945, Life and Work of A. Hlinka, History of Paper Production Development in Slovakia.
The museum building has three floors, originally it only had two. The museum also includes a specialized library open to general public.
The museum was founded in 1912 by the Kurti brothers, Arthur and Julius. The original seat of the museum was the old clergyman’s house from the 15th century, at the premises of which there is now the Andrej Hlinka Mausoleum. The current museum building was built by the town of Ružomberok in the 1930’s, and designed by a famous architect of Ružomberok, Vojtech Donner. The construction was carried out by a local contractor, Július Záchenský. The foundation stone was solemnly consecrated by the Roman Catholic priest and politician, Andrej Hlinka.
Find more information on what you can see in the Liptov Museum HERE.