Building of the Ľudovít Fulla Gallery
The Ľudovít Fulla Gallery offers its visitors the fine art work of a Ružomberok’s native, Ľ. Fulla, one of the most important Slovak artists of the 20th century and one of the founders of modern painting and graphic art in Slovakia.
It is situated in the centre of the town, at D. Makovického Street, right next to the building of the Liptov Museum.
From the architectural point of view, the gallery is a rather non-traditional building. It consists of two beam-shaped blocks asymmetrically stacked on each other in the way that the upper block is placed perpendicular to the bottom one. The exhibition area is situated in the upper section. The facade of the gallery is decorated with a mosaic designed by Ľ. Fulla.
An interesting fact is that Ľ. Fulla gifted his art work to the state. The gift consisted of 548 paintings, drawings and graphic works. The gallery was created as a result of the gift agreement between Ľudovít Fulla and the state. The painter gifted his work to the state and the state undertook to build a gallery for the collection, with an atelier and a dwelling. The construction was started in 1965 based on a design by Martin Kusý, and the gallery was opened to the public in 1969. It was the first gallery built in Slovakia after 1945. Ľ. Fulla spent the last years of his life there. In 2012, the building was declared a national cultural monument.
Find more information on what you can see in the Ľ. Fulla Gallery HERE.