Kollar’s House in Ľubochňa
The historical Kollar’s Spa House is situated in the town of Ľubochňa, approximately 12 km away from the centre of Ružomberok.
There used to be a well-known climatic spa in Ľubochňa in the past. Diseases treated in the spa included respiratory diseases, diseases related to blood circulation or nervous system. It was founded by count Bethlen, also known as the founder of Tatranská Lomnica, which shares similar architecture with Ľubochňa. Kollar’s House was built in the middle of the 19th century and it was originally called Hotel Elisabet or Erszébet. Apart from the accommodation section, there was also a restaurant, a coffee house, a game room, a reading room or a dance hall. An interesting fact is that in 1921, it was the venue of the conference of the Marxist Left Wing of Slovakia and Carpathian Ruthenia, which led to the establishment of the Communist Party.
The two-storey house, situated in the vicinity of a park, is built in spa style with typical wooden balconies. Near the house, there is a historical meteorological station, which is still functional.
Currently, the house is used by the National Institute of Endocrinology and Diabetes as a dining room for patients and employees.
Kollar’s House is a part of the spa complex with over 20 rare buildings, such as Spa House Bratislava, Bazovsky’s Villa, Vécsey’s Villa or Schneider’s Villa.