Peak Veľká Chochuľa (Great Chochula)
The peak of Veľká Chochuľa offers views of Liptov, Horehronie as well as other large mountains of northern Slovakia.
It is situated south of Ružomberok, near the town of Liptovská Lúžna and the town of Korytnica. It is a part of the Low Tatras. It is 1753 m.a.s.l. high. It lies 21 km away from the centre of Ružomberok (as the crow flies). The peak is covered with meadows with occasional mountain bushes. It has a panoramic view in all directions. It is visible from the west part of the Liptovská Basin.
It can be accessed via a marked hiking trail from Liptovská Lúžna, Korytnica, Hiadeľ, Brusno and Nemecká.
The easiest way to get to the top is from the town of Korytnica, from where we go along the blue-marked hiking trail to Hiadeľské Sedlo and then continue through the main ridge of the Low Tatras along the red-marked hiking trail.
The top view includes mainly the regions of Liptov and Horehronie, the Great Fatra Mountains, the Choc Mountains, the West Tatras, the Low Tatras themselves, Poľana, the Kremnica Mountains, the Veporské Mountains and partially also other mountains situated at a greater distance.
– Hiking trails are open all year round, winter gear should not be forgotten in winter.
– In winter, guidance is provided by winter pole marking.
– There is a red-marked trail running through Veľká Chochoľa, the so-called Trail of SNU Heroes, which leads from Dukla to Devín.
– The hiking tour from Korytnica takes approximately 4 hours.
– It is the highest peak of the so called Prašivá (a sub-part of the Low Tatras).
– It is the highest peak of Ružomberok district.
– There is a traditional starfish hiking tour from all sides to the top organized during summer.
– The peak is better known as “Prašivá”, which is the name of a sub-part of the Low Tatras.